Summer is here and though the season demands light gravies, one can not say know to the temptation of drumsticks in mustard sauce. This is a quick and easy recipe which can not be cooked with simple ingredients. But before going to the recipe, let us know the health benefits of drumsticks.
Health Benefits of Drumsticks
- Drumsticks are a good source of iron, calcium and vitamin C.
- They give strong bones and cleanse the blood.
- It is also good for gall bladder.
- Drumsticks help to improve the immune and nervous system.
Ingredients of Drumsticks in Mustard Sauce
As I said earlier, this is a simple recipe using minimal ingredients. To cook the drumsticks in mustard sauce, you need only drumsticks, mustard paste, and crushed garlic. As an ardent potato lover, I add potato chunks in it too which gives it some sweet flavor but can be toned down by using lots of green chilies. Here is the recipe.
In Assamese cuisine, the dishes cooked with mustard sauce are called sorsori. Hence, drumsticks in mustard sauce are called sojinar sorsori. Here is the recipe.
Assamese Recipe of Drumsticks in Mustard Sauce
- Drumsticks, cut into pieces
- 2 potatoes, cut in long slices
- 2 tablespoon mustard paste
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- Green chilies (optional)
- Salt, mustard oil and turmeric powder
- Heat oil in a kadahi.
- Add the onions and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Add the vegetables, salt, turmeric and saute well.
- Lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes coverd with lid.
- Stir and cover the kadahi and cook for another 5 munutes.
- Once you start to stir, increase the heat and rigorously stir for another two minutes.
- Add the mustard paste and crushed garlic and stir.
- Add one glass of water and cover with the lid.
- Cook till the vegeatbles are cooked and you reach the required consistency.
- Adjust the salt and serve hot.