Summer has made its presence felt in this part of the world and though it is still officially spring, all the summer vegetables have entered our local markets. Personally, I am not very fond of summer. Uh.. do not get shocked. If you have not encountered Indian summer and that is too in its north-eastern parts, it is impossible to feel the pain. However, I must admit that summer has its own charms and own flavors. Especially, when the summer vegetables are still new and after having cauliflowers and cabbages for six months, summer vegetables like ridge gourds are welcoming sight. Today, I have cooked freshwater fish with freshly available ridge gourds.
This is a simple dish with minimal preparations and almost without spices. Ridge gourd is a healthy vegetable with lots of health benefits. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. In Ayurveda, the juice of ridge gourd is used in
- Treating the gastric mucosa.
- Inducing emesis and reduce the symptoms of asthma.
- Treating conditions of intestinal worm infestation.
This particular recipe of fish with ridge gourd is slow cooked with fried pieces of freshwater fishes without an ounce of water into it. The ridge gourd leaves juice once on the wok and the juice helps in cooking the fishes imparting a sweet flavor too. Both the taste of the gourd and fish complements each other making this dish a delicious one.
Fish with ridge gourd is best served with plain steamed rice and dal fry. If you can lay your hands on a piece of lemon, squeeze few drops over the fish and attain nirvana.
Fish with Ridge Gourd
- 4 ridge gourd, cut into thin slices.
- 2 pieces of rohu*. (Check note)
- 8-10 cumin seeds only.
- Mustrad oil
- Turmeric powder
- Greecn chilies (optional)
- Heat oil in a wok and add oil.
- Now shallow fry the fish pieces and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add the cumin seeds and once they splutter, add the cut slices of gourds.
- Add salt and turmeric.
- Stir gently. Now cover the wok with a lid and simmer the gas.
- Cook for five minutes. Now, the gourd slices would release its juices.
- Add the fish, stir gently and cover again with the lid.
- Cook in low heat until the fish pieces soak all the juices of the gourds.
- Stir occasionally.
- Once the gourd lose all its juice, add some chopped chilies and stir.
- Adjust the salt and your dish is ready.
- * I use the rohu fish here but you can use any freswater fish to cook the dish.
- + Squeeze some lemon juice before serving if you like to have a tangy flavour in it.