Every season brings the flavor with it and refreshes our taste buds. During these months when you are bored to death with the cauliflowers, cabbages and other winter vegetables, drumsticks, tender jackfruits bring the much-needed change of taste to our palates.
Today’s recipe is the Green Jackfruit Curry. But before going to the recipe, let us know the health benefits of green jackfruit.
Health Benefits of Green Jackfruit
Jackfruits are indigenous to South East Asia, most specifically to India. There are lots of varieties of this fruit growing in this part of world and every variety is loved by people.
Jackfruits are can be termed as wonder fruits. They contain lots of essential nutrients like Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C, E, Iron, Protein, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc and carbohydrate. And all these benefits come without no or minimum fat content! It can be termed as one of the healthiest fruits in the world.
In Assam, both the ripe and green jackfruits are widely loved. But as the ripe ones are eaten raw, green jackfruits are often cooked in curry which can be savored with rice or roti. The recipe is simple and the only tough is work is to cut the whole fruit into small pieces.
Here we go!
Assamese Recipe: Green Jackfruit Curry
- 1 green jackfruit, cut into cubes
- 3 mediam sized potatoes, cut into cubes
- Whole garam masala, for tempering
- 1 large onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- Mustard oil, salt and turmeric powder
- Pressure cook the jackfruit and potato cubes for one whistle.
- Drain the water and keep the bolied cubes aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a wok.
- Once the oil reaches its smoking oint, temper it with the whole garam masala.
- Now add the onion slices and saute till they turn transculent.
- Now the add boiled cubes, salt, turmeric powder and ginger garlic paste.
- Mix well.
- Now lower the heat and cover the wok with a lid.
- Cook the jackfruits for 5 minutes in its own moisture like that.
- Now uncover the lid and stir.
- Repeat the process for two times.
- Once the boiled cubes are fried on all side and coated with the spice, increase the flame and stir for two minutes.
- Now add one and half glass of water.
- Let it boil and cover again with the lid.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until you get the desired consistency.
- Adjust the salt.
- Serve hot